In the United States, diabetes is not a reportable illness, so all statistics related to prevalence are just estimates. With that said, the following statistics represent the most current data on type 1 diabetes in the United States:
- About 208,000 youth under age 20 have type 1
- About 1.25 million Americans have type 1 diabetes
- About 21 million Americans have diagnosed diabetes (of all kinds) as of 2015
- 40,000 people diagnosed with type 1 diabetes annually
- Just under 19,000 youth are diagnosed with type 1 annually
- Statistics About Diabetes from the American Diabetes Association.
- Fast Facts - Data and Statistics About Diabetes from the American Diabetes Association.
- Fast Facts PDF from the American Diabetes Association.
- Type 1 Diabetes Facts from JDRF.
January 13, 2017
Last Updated: Friday January 13, 2017 21:16:52
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.