Type 1 Diabetes & Heart Disease Study
Coronary Artery Calcification in Type 1 Diabetes
Principal Investigator: Marian Rewers, M.D., Ph.D.
Subjects are needed to participate in a 3-year study looking at heart disease. The purpose of the study is to look for calcium deposits in the coronary arteries, which may indicate the early development of heart disease. The study involves one visit now, and a follow-up visit in 3 years. We will be recruiting 800 people who have Type 1 Diabetes and 600 non-diabetic controls. The spouse or live-in partner of diabetic participants may also participate as a control subject.
Major Eligibility Criteria:
For Diabetic participants:
- Diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes by age 30
- Started on insulin with one year of diagnosis and currently on insulin
- Must have had diabetes for at least 10 years
For non-diabetic Controls:
- No history of diabetes, including gestational and Type 2
- Not a child, parent or sibling of a diabetic participant or another control.
For ALL participants:
- Age 20 - 55
- Not currently pregnant
- Never had a heart attack, coronary artery bypass surgery, or coronary angioplasty
If you agree to participate in this study, you will receive the following tests free of charge and results will be sent to you (and your physician, if you choose):
- Blood tests for cholesterol, triglyceride, glucose, HbA1c, and creatinine
- Blood pressure & Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Ultrafast CT scan of the heart
For more information or to participate in the study, call one of our study staff at the following numbers:
Catherine Logan 303-315-1413 Mary Jefferson 303-315-7883 Janet Snell-Bergeon 303-315-1013
Posted 16 July 2001
Last Updated: Thursday February 27, 2014 19:28:20
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.