Current Research News
5 December 2018
Trends and cyclical variation in the incidence of childhood type 1 diabetes in 26 European centres in the 25 year period 1989-2013: a multicentre prospective registration study.
Type 1 Diabetes Incidence Set to Double in 20 Years in Europe. (Free Medscape membership required). See also 25-year study shows that incidence of type 1 diabetes is increasing by more than 3 percent per year in Europe.
Global and regional estimates of the morbidity due to type I diabetes among children aged 0-4 years: a systematic review and analysis. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
DREAM5: An open-label, randomized, cross-over study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of day and night closed-loop control using the MD-Logic automated insulin delivery system compared to sensor augmented pump therapy in patients with type 1 diabetes at home.
28 November 2018
- Learning From Past Failures of Oral Insulin Trials.
- Zinc transporter 8 autoantibodies (ZnT8-ab) are associated with higher prevalence of multiple diabetes-related autoantibodies in adults with type 1 diabetes.
- Identification of autoimmune type 1 diabetes and multiple organ-specific autoantibodies in adult-onset non-insulin requiring diabetes in China: a population based multicenter national wide survey.
- Localized immune tolerance from FasL-functionalized PLG scaffolds.
21 November 2018
- Developing a vaccine for Type 1 diabetes by targeting coxsackievirus B.
- No evidence of the role of early chemical exposure in the development of β-cell autoimmunity.
- A Model of Acetaminophen Pharmacokinetics and its Effect on Continuous Glucose Monitoring Sensor Measurements.
13 November 2018
- Global and regional estimates of the morbidity due to type I diabetes among children aged 0-4 years: a systematic review and analysis. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Maternal Dietary Supplement Use and Development of Islet Autoimmunity in the offspring: the TEDDY Study.
- Comparison of proinsulin and C-peptide secretion in healthy versus long-standing type 1 diabetes mellitus cohorts: A pilot study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Clinical Pharmacology of Fast-Acting Insulin Aspart Versus Insulin Aspart Measured as Free or Total Insulin Aspart and the Relation to Anti-Insulin Aspart Antibody Levels in Subjects with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Resistance to Data Loss of Glycemic Variability Measurements in Long-Term Continuous Glucose Monitoring.
7 November 2018
- First GWAS analysis of 'type 1.5 diabetes' reveals links between immune and metabolic disease.
- Long-Term Mortality After Kidney Transplantation in a Nationwide Cohort of Patients With Type 1 Diabetes in Finland.
- Single Centre Experience - Clinical Presentation and Frequency of Paediatric Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA) At Diagnosis over a 5-Year Period.
31 October 2018
- The Development of Immunotherapy Strategies for the Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The human gut microbiome in early-onset type 1 diabetes from the TEDDY study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Temporal development of the gut microbiome in early childhood from the TEDDY study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats. See also Different gut bugs in kids with type 1 diabetes.
- Low doses of dasiglucagon consistently increase plasma glucose levels from hypoglycaemia and euglycaemia in people with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Identification of nephropathy predictors in urine from children with a recent diagnosis of type 1 diabetes.
- Late-Onset T1DM and Older Age Predict Risk of Additional Autoimmune Disease.
- Variables to Be Monitored via Biomedical Sensors for Complete Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus Management: An Extension of the "On-Board" Concept. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
24 October 2018
- Early childhood CMV infection may decelerate the progression to clinical type 1 diabetes.
- No Association Between Ljungan Virus Seropositivity and the Beta-Cell Damaging Process in the Finnish Type 1 Diabetes Prediction and Prevention Study Cohort.
- Failure of the Anti-Inflammatory Parasitic Worm Product ES-62 to Provide Protection in Mouse Models of Type I Diabetes, Multiple Sclerosis, and Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Evaluation of different mucosal microbiota leads to gut microbiota-based prediction of type 1 diabetes in NOD mice. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Validation of Time in Range as an Outcome Measure for Diabetes Clinical Trials.
- First Genome-Wide Association Study of Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults Reveals Novel Insights Linking Immune and Metabolic Diabetes. See also New genetic study into LADA reveals connections to type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
19 October 2018
- First Look at Control-IQ: A New-Generation Automated Insulin Delivery System.
- Effectiveness of artificial pancreas in the non-adult population: a systematic review and network meta-analysis.
- Maternal Antibiotic Use During Pregnancy and Type 1 Diabetes in Childrend-National Prospective Cohort Study.
- Recording of Diabetes on Death Certificates of Decedents With Type 1 Diabetes in DCCT/EDIC.
- Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacodynamics, and Modulation of Hepatic Glucose Production With Insulin Glargine U-300 and Glargine U-100 at Steady State With Individualized Clinical Doses in Type 1 Diabetes.
10 October 2018
- Closed-loop insulin delivery in suboptimally controlled type 1 diabetes: a multicentre, 12-week randomised trial. Free full text available in PDF format. See also Algorithm Proves Better Than Humans at Controlling Blood Sugar in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Enlarging the loop: closed-loop insulin delivery for type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Women's Experiences of Day-and-Night Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery During Type 1 Diabetes Pregnancy.
- Progression from islet autoimmunity to clinical type 1 diabetes is influenced by genetic factors: results from the prospective TEDDY study.
3 October 2018
- Handling Exercise During Closed Loop Control. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Atherosclerosis and Microvascular Complications: Results From the Canadian Study of Longevity in Type 1 Diabetes.
- The Effect of Age on the Progression and Severity of Type 1 Diabetes: Potential Effects on Disease Mechanisms.
26 September 2018
- Association between maternal gluten intake and type 1 diabetes in offspring: national prospective cohort study in Denmark. Free full text available in PDF format. See also Gluten diet in pregnancy is linked to child diabetes.
- Psychosocial and Human Factors During a Trial of a Hybrid Closed Loop System for Type 1 Diabetes Management.
- Gastric emptying in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus: A pilot study.
- High Prevalence of Comorbid Autoimmune Diseases in Adults with Type 1 Diabetes from the HealthFacts Database.
- Do glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor (GLP-1R) agonists have potential as adjuncts in the treatment of type 1 diabetes?
- Will Genetic Engineering Carry Xenotransplantation of Pig Islets to the Clinic?
19 September 2018
- Gut Microbiota Differs in Composition and Functionality Between Children With Type 1 Diabetes, MODY2, and Healthy Control Subjects: A Case-Control Study.
- Glucose Management Indicator (GMI): A New Term for Estimating A1C From Continuous Glucose Monitoring. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Insulin Combo Reduces After-Meal Sugar Spikes in Type 1 Diabetics.
12 September 2018
- Prevalence of diagnosed type 1 and type 2 diabetes among US adults in 2016 and 2017: population based study. Free full text available in HTML reader format.
- Long-term Glycemic Control and Dementia Risk in Type 1 Diabetes. See also Prolonged, high HbA1c may increase dementia risk in type 1 diabetes. (Free registration may be required.)
- Multivariable Artificial Pancreas for Various Exercise Types and Intensities.
- Risk factors for development and progression of diabetic retinopathy in Dutch patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- The Coincidence of Newly Diagnosed Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus with IgM Antibody Positivity to Enteroviruses and Respiratory Tract Viruses. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Comprehensive genetic screening: the prevalence of MODY gene variants in a population-based childhood diabetes cohort.
- Recruiting young pre-symptomatic children for a clinical trial in type 1 diabetes: Insights from the Fr1da insulin intervention study.
- Touch-actuated microneedle array patch for closed-loop transdermal drug delivery. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
5 September 2018
- Innate immune activity as a predictor of persistent insulin secretion and association with responsiveness to CTLA4-Ig treatment in recent-onset type 1 diabetes.
- Therapies to Suppress ╬▓ Cell Autoimmunity in Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Deletion of the glucagon receptor gene before and after experimental diabetes reveals differential protection from hyperglycemia.
29 August 2018
- Prospects for Primary Prevention of Type 1 Diabetes by Restoring a Disappearing Microbe.
- Cyclical variation in the incidence of childhood-onset type 1 diabetes during forty years in Navarra (Spain).
- Childhood onset type 1 diabetes at a tertiary hospital in south-western Iran during 2000-2015: Rapid increase in admissions and high prevalence of DKA at diagnosis.
- Islet Allotransplantation in the Bone Marrow of Patients With Type 1 Diabetes: A Pilot Randomized Trial.
22 August 2018
- In-situ type I oligomeric collagen macroencapsulation promotes islet longevity and function in vitro and in vivo. See also New type 1 diabetes therapy shows promise for long-term reversal in both humans, dogs.
- Clinical Evaluation of MK-2640: An Insulin Analog with Glucose-Responsive Properties.
- The bacteriome at the onset of type 1 diabetes: a study from four geographically distant African and Asian countries.
- Neurophysiological Evidence for a Compensatory Activity during a Simple Oddball Task in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Microencapsulated adult porcine islets transplanted intraperitoneally in streptozotocin-diabetic non-human primates.
- Patient and family expectations of beta-cell replacement therapies in type 1 diabetes.
15 August 2018
- Fasting hypoglycemia is associated with disease progression in presymptomatic early stage type 1 diabetes.
- Intestinal Metaproteomics Reveals Host-Microbiota Interactions in Subjects at Risk for Type 1 Diabetes.
- Current epidemiology of diabetic retinopathy in patients with type 1 diabetes: a national multicenter study in Brazil. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Studies Unable to Reproduce Results of Two Diabetes Papers.
- A Mathematical Model of Type 1 Diabetes Involving Leptin Effects on Glucose Metabolism.
8 August 2018
- Performance of the Omnipod Personalized Model Predictive Control Algorithm with Meal Bolus Challenges in Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Identical and Nonidentical Twins: Risk and Factors Involved in Development of Islet Autoimmunity and Type 1 Diabetes.
- Efficacy and Safety of Dapagliflozin in Patients With Inadequately Controlled Type 1 Diabetes (the DEPICT-2 Study): 24-Week Results From a Randomized Controlled Trial.
- Persistent Elevations in Circulating INS DNA Among Subjects with Longstanding Type 1 Diabetes.
- Parental smoking and risk of childhood-onset type 1 diabetes.
- Multiresponsive Supramolecular Theranostic Nanoplatform Based on Pillararene and Diphenylboronic Acid Derivatives for Integrated Glucose Sensing and Insulin Delivery.
1 August 2018
- Closed-Loop Driven by Control-to-Range Algorithm Outperforms Threshold-Low-Glucose-Suspend Insulin Delivery on Glucose Control Albeit not on Nocturnal Hypoglycemia in Pre-pubertal Patients with Type 1 Diabetes in Supervised Hotel Setting.
- Identical and Nonidentical Twins: Risk and Factors Involved in Development of Islet Autoimmunity and Type 1 Diabetes.
- Baseline Glycated Hemoglobin Values Predict the Magnitude of Glycemic Improvement in Patients with Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes: Subgroup Analyses from the DIAMOND Study Program.
- The Future of Islet Transplantation Is Now. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
25 July 2018
- Antibiotic-induced acceleration of type 1 diabetes alters maturation of innate intestinal immunity. Full text PDF available via link. See also Changes in bacterial mix linked to antibiotics increase risk for type 1 diabetes.
- Qualitative study of barriers to clinical trial retention in adults with recently diagnosed type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Pet exposure in the family during pregnancy and risk for Type 1 diabetes - the prospective ABIS-study.
- Cognitive decline and dementia in diabetes mellitus: mechanisms and clinical implications.
19 July 2018
- Artificial Pancreas: Clinical Study in Latin America Without Premeal Insulin Boluses.
- A Type 1 Diabetes Genetic Risk Score Predicts Progression of Islet Autoimmunity and Development of Type 1 Diabetes in Individuals at Risk.
- Low-Dose Anti-Thymocyte Globulin (ATG) Preserves β-Cell Function and Improves HbA1c in New-Onset Type 1 Diabetes.
4 July 2018
- Efficacy and safety of the artificial pancreas in the paediatric population with type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Improving the Safety and Functionality of an Artificial Pancreas System for Use in Younger Children: Input from Parents and Physicians.
- Evaluation of an Artificial Pancreas with Enhanced Model Predictive Control and a Glucose Prediction Trust Index with Unannounced Exercise.
- Adaptability of Closed Loop During Labor, Delivery, and Postpartum: A Secondary Analysis of Data from Two Randomized Crossover Trials in Type 1 Diabetes Pregnancy. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
27 June 2018
- Safety and Performance of the Omnipod┬« Hybrid Closed-Loop System in Children Aged 6-12 Years with Type 1 Diabetes over Five Days Under Free-Living Conditions.
- Impact of macronutrient content of meals on postprandial glucose control in the context of closed-loop insulin delivery - a randomized cross-over study.
- Sotagliflozin in Combination With Optimized Insulin Therapy in Adults With Type 1 Diabetes: The North American inTandem1 Study.
- Ultra-rapid BioChaperone Lispro Improves post-prandial Blood Glucose Excursions versus Insulin Lispro in a 14-day crossover Treatment Study in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes.
- HbA1c and Hypoglycemia Reductions at 24 and 52 Weeks With Sotagliflozin in Combination With Insulin in Adults With Type 1 Diabetes: The European inTandem2 Study.
- Long-term reduction in hyperglycemia in advanced type 1 diabetes: the value of induced aerobic glycolysis with BCG vaccinations. Free full text available in PDF format. See also Joint Statement from JDRF and the American Diabetes Association.
20 June 2018
- Challenges to Reshape the Future of Type 1 Diabetes Research.
13 June 2018
- C-Peptide Decline in Type 1 Diabetes Has Two Phases: An Initial Exponential Fall and a Subsequent Stable Phase. See also New hope from the 'seven year switch' in Type 1 diabetes.
- Antibiotics, acetaminophen and infections during prenatal and early life in relation to type 1 diabetes.
- New Horizons in the Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes: More Intense Immunosuppression and Beta Cell Replacement. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
6 June 2018
- Insulin-producing Cells from Adult Human Bone Marrow Mesenchymal Stromal Cells Could Control Chemically Induced Diabetes in Dogs: A Preliminary Study.
- Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus in Saudi Arabia: A Soaring Epidemic. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Frequent Monitoring of C-peptide Levels in Newly Diagnosed Type 1 Subjects Using Dried Blood Spots Collected at Home.
- Sex as a determinant of type 1 diabetes at diagnosis.
Current Research News |
Last Updated: Wednesday December 05, 2018 18:32:14
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.