Diabetes News in the Popular Press
25 May 2016
- This Diabetes Activist Hacked Her Medical Device and Made an Artificial Pancreas.
- Tubeless insulin pump gives independence to active diabetics.
- Juvenile Diabetes Research: Playing sports with diabetes.
- Grand Forks student participates in groundbreaking 'T-rex' diabetes study.
- What Is It Like to Raise a Child with Type 1 Diabetes?
- Diabetes doesn’t slow down IndyCar racer Charlie Kimball.
- First results of the Fr1da study—36,000 children already tested for early type 1 diabetes.
- A Polish vaccine against diabetes.
18 May 2016
- Is more monitoring better for Type 1 diabetes patients?
- I Don’t Let Type 1 Diabetes Get in My Way.
- Father shows mettle to heave anvil up mountain in support of ill daughter.
- Charlie Kimball’s car will change number.
- First Colonial soccer defender battles opponents and Type 1 Diabetes.
- Isabella Lewis first in Kent to try new Omnipod diabetes management system.
- Gate City High School doubles partners manage juvenile diabetes together.
- Jane Fonda, Sidney Poitier, Sherry Lansing, David Foster to Be Honored at Carousel of Hope Ball.
- Trip Of A Lifetime: Sioux Falls Boy With Type 1 Will Test Out Artificial Pancreas.
- Major conference for type 1 diabetes.
11 May 2016
- Tech-Savvy Families Use Home-Built Diabetes Device.
- Bountiful Couple First in Utah to Build DIY "Artificial Pancreas" for Type 1 Diabetes.
- Mike Rutherford: Ignorance about diabetes is rife.
- Newly crowned Miss NH raises awareness of diabetes.
- Get Inspired: Worcester's Chris Pennell on life as diabetic rugby professional.
- Cebix Shuts Down Following Mid-Stage Trial of C-Peptide Drug.
- Roche commits to diabetes testing and sees 2017 return to growth.
4 May 2016
- Plymouth couple to be honored for supporting diabetes research.
- American Girl Has a Hit With Diabetes Doll Kit.
- What It's Like Living With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Young athlete thrives despite type-1 diabetes.
- 11 Things People Living With Type 1 Diabetes Want You To Know.
- Living With Type 1 Diabetes: Food Shaming At Family Parties.
- Apple's debut CareKit apps target diabetes, depression, pregnancy.
27 April 2016
- Latest On The Sanford Project: Clinical Trial Studying Type 1 Diabetes In Children.
- Scioto Foundation Announces New MacKenzie Brown Type I Diabetes Scholarship Fund.
- Franklin College softball player doesn’t let diabetes slow her down.
- I Built a Superpower to Treat My Son's Diabetes.
- Girls soccer notes: Diabetes can't slow Andrew senior Abby Hooker.
- The other diabetes: Type 1 less known, no less serious.
- Founder of Silicon Alley darling Razorfish expands diabetes app.
- Could a cheap drug PREVENT type 1 diabetes? 'At risk' children will be given common treatment for disease to see if it stops it developing.
20 April 2016
- Diabetes Patients 'Screaming' About Insulin Costs. (Free Medscape membership required.) See also Media Matters: Can Anything Be Done About High Insulin Prices?
- Type-1 diabetes 'prevention' trial starts in Scotland.
- Matt is back in the driving seat after diabetes ban blow.
- Huntsville-based GrifGrips develops technology to help people with Type 1 Diabetes.
- 'Women with diabulimia don't see 30', warns eating disorders expert.
- Anorexic Diabetics Treated 'Too Late'.
13 April 2016
- Bennet, FDA commish say 'fast-track' for medical device made in Aurora helping change lives.
- Lexington woman won't let diabetes hold her back.
- For 45 NFL players lobbying Congress, the fight against diabetes is personal.
- Liraglutide benefits obese and overweight Type 1 diabetics the most, an exploratory study shows.
- Type 1 diabetes won't stop me from running London Marathon.
- Nurse's Notes: Living with type 1 diabetes is like Sherlock Holmes every day.
- I have type 1 diabetes and it isn't because of my diet or weight.
- A South Spencer High School student says she was denied her insulin.
- Insulin's Surging Price Turns Diabetes Staple Into Luxury Good.
6 April 2016
- What's behind skyrocketing insulin prices? See also Lifesaving Diabetes Drug Price Tripled in 10 Years and Insulin prices have skyrocketed, putting drug makers on the defensive.
- Artificial Pancreas Makers Race to Marke.
- Diabetes: From Ancient Discovery To Contemporary Treatment.
- Hope for the Battle against Type 1 Diabetes.
- Type 1 Diabetes Cell Therapy Trial Enrolls First Patient at Sanford.
- For teen with type 1 diabetes, it's about numbers - and a whole lot more.
- Florida Southern Women's Soccer Supports Teammate in Fight Against Type 1 Diabetes.
- Nottingham mum-of-six to run London Marathon for diabetic brother.
- Abbott hosts first ever sleepover at London Planetarium for children with T1 diabetes.
30 March 2016
- Trial aims to 'stall' type 1 diabetes. See also Type 1 diabetes trials give hope for 'more normal life'.
- Diabetic toddler raises awareness of Type 1 diabetes.
- Nashville judge doesn't let type 1 diabetes hold her back.
- McManaman: Diabetes hasn't been able to slow down Indy driver Charlie Kimball.
- Beckman's Caitlin Kennedy learns to thrive with diabetes.
23 March 2016
- Pancreas Transplant May Eliminate Injections for Some With Severe Diabetes.
- How Dogs Can Sniff Out Diabetes and Cancer.
- 'I wish I could go back' – Doctor breaks down as she admits missing diabetes signs in girl who died hours later.
16 March 2016
- Everyday Heroes - The Calabrese Family.
- Tallahassee woman marks milestone in diabetes treatmen.
- Fifth graders born half a world away find friendship in living with diabetes.
- Elite Sophomore Prospect Abby Prohaska Shoots, Scores, Saves.
- Parents hack kids' glucose monitors to fill medical void.
- 'A scary thing': ex-NHLer Doug Gilmour's personal connection to diabetes fight.
- Seriously ill teen with diabetes died 'hours after doctor failed to diagnose condition'.
- The Motley Fool Sits Down With the CEO of Dexcom Inc.
9 March 2016
- The Rising Cost of Insulin.
- Mum of three diabetic children calls for better understanding of the disease.
- Sacred Heart's Brown didn't let diabetes derail career.
- 8-year-old teaches Taft principal, recently diagnosed with diabetes.
- How My Diabetes Got Me Hooked on Aviation.
- While his parents slept, this 7-year-old boy's life was saved by Jedi, his diabetes-sniffing dog. See also Meet Jedi, the Dog That Watches Over Type-1 Diabetic Child Every Night While His Family Sleeps.
2 March 2016
- For Some Diabetics, a Struggle to Pay for Insulin.
- Bob Krause - 90 year old type 1 diabetic.
- The Importance Of Getting It Right In Diabetes Reporting.
- Victor Garber Supports Young People Living with Type 1 Diabetes: 'You Can Live with It and Thrive'.
- Babies weaned after six months are 'three times as likely to develop type 1 diabetes'.
- The Aussies at risk of dying while they are asleep from Dead-in-Bed syndrome.
- Family's campaign for the 'simple test' that could have saved their 13-year-old son's life.
24 February 2016
- A Do-It-Yourself Revolution in Diabetes Care.
- Break Up the Insulin Racket. See also Eli Lilly's revenue boosted by jacking up cost of insulin for diabetics.
- Insulin pumps and princesses.
- ‘100 things' book and campaign launch today.
- Mini-Dose Glucagon May Manage Hypoglycemia for Type 1 Diabetes Patients.
17 February 2016
- CU Scientists Make Major Discovery In Type 1 Diabetes.
- Local moms design a trendy way to carry insulin pumps.
- New diabetes devices improve connectivity, but patient, provider education needed.
10 February 2016
- Artificial pancreas works for teens with type 1 diabetes.
- How Diabetes in Kids Differs From That in Teens.
- Parents fight diabetes diagnoses with diligence and technology.
- My Very Human Errors With My Very Human Disease.
- San Diego Company Testing Possible Diabetes Cure.
- North Carolina teen with diabetes wins wrestling state championship.
- Diabetes camp a confidence boost for youth.
- Man pools his efforts for charity.
- Insulin access remains limited for thousands of people, study finds.
3 February 2016
- An Eating Disorder in People With Diabetes.
- Teen raising money for kits that will help ease diabetes fear.
- What it means to live with diabetes.
27 January 2016
- What's Your Type? With Diabetes, It Can Be Unclear.
- How Playing With Jerry The Bear Changes Kids' Lives.
- Celebrating 50 years, a local man's diabetic journey.
20 January 2016
- Navigating School With Diabetes.
- The athletes who have triumphed over type 1 diabetes.
- Badgers men's hockey: Diabetes doesn't keep freshman forward Luke Kunin from making a quick impact.
- Homewood-Flossmoor's Eva Rubin refuses to dial down due to diabetes.
- Going Collegiate With A Chronic Illness.
- Dunking for Success.
- She conquers diabetes by running marathons.
- Age group inspiration: Josie Pilon.
- Type 1 diabetes does not stop Tampa Catholic's Ragusa from playing 2 sports.
- Diabetes? That's just another hurdle I had to overcome in my sporting life.
- Why NBA star Julius Randle wore a Manlius boy's bracelet in last week's game.
- Diabetes doesn't slow down Blaine's Riley Tufte.
- Utica student aims to help children cope with diabetes.
- Kennewick teen diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes but still excels in school and sports.
13 January 2016
- Kids with diabetes find comfort in custom American Girl dolls.
- Wiregrass guard leads team despite battle with Type 1 diabetes.
6 January 2016
- Pioneering Artificial Pancreas, Developed at UVA, to Undergo Final Tests. See also UVa to lead studies on 'artificial pancreas' for type 1 diabetes.
- Surviving the war to fight diabetes as a refugee.
- Diabetic Ironman athletes say disease doesn't stop them from competing.
- WA youth research to close loop on diabetes with trial at Perth’s Princess Margaret Hospital.
- The Awesome Change American Girl Is Making In 2016.
- Nuthall diabetic who has been injecting insulin for 50 years shows life goes on after diagnosis.
30 December 2015
- New accessory for American Girl dolls: diabetic care kit.
- This Couple Is Hacking The Insulin Pump.
- Testing for antibodies early can delay or prevent onset of Type 1 diabetes.
- Insulin shortage could affect 50,000 people with diabetes in the UK.
- Harden balances sport, diabetes.
- Child takes control of diabetes diagnosis.
- Woman invents glucose testing app.
- Adorable lad stays up until 4am every night to check diabetic girlfriend is okay.
24 December 2015
- Crowdfunding Website Aims To Give Young Diabetes Researchers A Leg Up.
- More U.S. Kids Have Type 1 Diabetes, But Researchers Don't Know Why.
- Intranasal Glucagon Effective for Hypoglycemia in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Every day you're left thinking, "Did I damage him today?"
- I Have 5 Children. All But the Eldest Are Battling the Same Incurable Disease.
- Ex-Navy SEALs put the world's first all-diabetes pro cycling team through 36 hours of hell to toughen them up as they vie for their first Tour de France invite.
- Spanish bike camp to boost diabetes education.
- University of Maryland School of Medicine researchers are studying a rare form of diabetes.
16 December 2015
- You Can Buy Insulin Without A Prescription, But Should You?
- Online community to help parents of kids with type 1 diabetes.
- Living and swimming as a diabetic: Tanner Barton's story.
- Cranford Fifth Grader Overcomes Hurdles, Blazing her Own Trail.
- Six thousand injections over 12 years: welcome to life with type 1 diabetes.
- My health experience: 'I never allow my disease to limit what I can and cannot do'.
- Evie's Story, Part 2: child owns her Type-1 Diabetes.
- Festive session for youngsters with diabetes.
- With artificial pancreas, diabetics can put the needles away.
- IDF and Sanofi launch pilot project in largest populations of diabetes worldwide.
9 December 2015
- Clifford Whittaker given medal for living with diabetes for 80 years.
- Flower Mound's Lauren Cox Impresses on the Court.
- Choctaw Football Player Kicks Stigma of Diabetes, Finds Success.
- Type 1 diabetes doesn't stop Sawston teenager Tony Beemiss from competing in judo competitions.
- Google wants your blood.
- Mom gives voice to diabetic kids through unique photos.
- Evie's story: young parents learn about Type 1 diabetes.
- Dodging Diabetes tournament raises funds for Type 1 diabetes research.
1 December 2015
- How to take the stress out of holiday eating for kids with type 1 diabetes.
- Celebrities Join Movement To Raise Awareness Of Symptoms Of Type 1 Diabetes.
25 November 2015
- The Doctor on a Quest to Save Our Medical Devices From Hackers.
- Glendale PD: Diabetes won't stop us from hiring qualified officers.
- Local father uses month of November to spread awareness about diabetes.
- How being diagnosed with diabetes changed my life.
- Sea Eagles star Brett Stewart is a Snake charmer for diabetic kids.
- Harvard's Doug Melton awarded for work on stem cells treatment for diabetes.
- At Walgreens and CVS, a Push to Collect Customer Health Data by Dangling Discounts.
17 November 2015
- Facebook billionaire Sean Parker wants to eliminate diabetes. See also Why a tech billionaire thinks a $10M gift to UCSF can disrupt, fix diabetes.
- Using Apple HealthKit to care for patients with Type 1 diabetes.
- How Three Brothers are Changing What We Know About Type 1 Diabetes.
- Olympic Trials Qualifier Doesn't Let Diabetes Slow Her Down.
- ND students dominating diabetes.
- Type 1 Diabetes: An Unrelenting Disease.
- Heed early warning signs about type 1 diabetes.
- Arizona's impact rookie Domi playing with diabetes.
- Teen overcomes diabetes to keep playing hockey.
- Johnson City family shares son's story to raise awareness about Type 1 Diabetes.
- 14 realities of having type 1 diabetes in your 20s.
11 November 2015
- New bionic device takes burden off patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Artificial pancreas developed by U.Va. offers hope, relief to Type 1 diabetes patients.
- 49 Years and Counting: A Type 1 Diabetes Story.
- YouTube makeup artist opens up about her diagnosis with type-1 diabetes. See also Draw My Life: My Diagnosis.
- Diabetes doesn't sink Davenport West swimmer Straetker.
- Silvis girl bringing awareness to diabetes.
- Tyler woman to attempt 100 miles to shed light onType 1 diabetes.
- Jeriann's Story: Coping With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Lehigh County mother pushing for diabetes awareness.
- Fundraising run for daughter with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Buying Insulin? No Prescription Necessary.
- How to Crush Your Ride Despite Diabetes.
- MP apologises for diabetes 'avoidable' comments. See also Derek Thomas: Tory MP apologises after claiming diabetes is avoidable 'through good diet and exercise'.
4 November 2015
- When Diabetes Leads to an Eating Disorder.
- $1.5 Million NIH Grant Awarded to UCF, Nemours and University of Michigan. Nursing professor, part of interdisciplinary research team creating crowdsourced social media portal for Type 1 diabetes study.
- Lack of support, services for type 1 diabetes.
- Transplant procedure offers potential cure for type 1 diabetes.
- North Texas girl given wrong medicine at school.
27 October 2015
- Health hackers: the patients taking medical innovation into their own hands.
- Many Schools Failing on Diabetes Care. See also Share Your Story About Diabetes at School.
- A Dangerous Duet.
- Lobo women's basketball player Otto doesn't let diabetes stop her.
- Razorfish founder Jeff Dachis' next project: To transform health data.
21 October 2015
- Max Domi on being an NHL rookie, living with diabetes, growing up a Flyers fan.
- Ironman finisher with diabetes starts new project to inspire athletes.
- Diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, he's running across America.
- Fighting Diabetes, One Lap at a Time: Carly Lenett and Kristy Kowal.
- Mariemont teen helping others with type 1 diabetes.
- Junior golfer won't let adversity keep him down.
- Why I Refuse to Step on the Scale.
- Treatment search for boy allergic to insulin.
- The device that stops diabetics dying in their sleep.
14 October 2015
- Carousel Ball raises $1.3 million for children's diabetes programs.
- The Innovative Mindset Your Company Can't Afford to Lose.
- Wine May Help With Diabetes. See also Wine at dinner safe, possibly beneficial in diabetes.
7 October 2015
- The End Isn't Near.
- 89-year-old diabetes patient thrives on insulin for more than 8 decades.
- New technology helps manage diabetes.
- McCandless teen with diabetes is honored.
- For Lowell field hockey trio, diabetes fuels a special bond.
- Find Out What It's Like to Run Marathons With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Rapid City woman completes Ironman, in spite of diabetes.
- Experimental device could be life-changing for those with Type 1 diabetes.
- Q and A with Miss Wales 2016 finalist and type 1 diabetic Ruby Parfitt.
- Hypo unawareness affects cognitive function in type 1 diabetes, study finds.
- Insulin-producing cells offer hope for people with type 1 diabetes. See also Novel technique reboots insulin production in pancreatic cells.
[ Current Diabetes News in the Popular Press | News from 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | 1998 ]
Last Updated: Wednesday May 25, 2016 19:45:24
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.