Question:

From Kansas:

My nephew has juvenile diabetes. He is 2 years old and we detected this about 6 months back. He lives in Bombay, India. I am interested to know whether there is any oral insulin medicines available. As per my knowledge he has type I diabetes. There is no history of diabetes in our family. I will appreciate if you can send me some more information on this.

Answer:

Sorry, there's no oral therapy that will work for little children with Type 1 (juvenile) diabetes. Insulin shots are a necessity.

For more information about diabetes in children, besides what's here at children with DIABETES, you could contact the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, which has an office in India at 800/H Lake Town, Calcutta 700 089, or the American Diabetes Association.

SS

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.