Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

My daughter is 9-years-old and was diagnosed with diabetes 9 months ago. We are still using the doctor she was assigned when she was admitted into the hospital but I'm not that thrilled with him.

We were given a recommendation for another doctor in the area who has a practice with another doctor and is associated with a dietician and a social worker and has a nurse specialist (none of which is part of the practice with my current doctor).

My question is: What should I look for in a practice? What credentials should I look for? Are there any particular questions I should ask the doctor? Is there anything in particular I should be aware of? I just want to make sure I'm making the right switch.


My usual criteria for finding a new doctor includes the following:

  1. They should be relatively close by (If you lived in the USA, a doctor in Europe would be inappropriate); how far you're willing to travel depends on your personal situation.
  2. They should accept whatever insurance plan you have.
  3. They should be willing to work with other physicians and other health care professionals.
  4. You should feel good after a visit to their office.

I think you will have to have a face-to-face meeting with your daughter and you and your proposed new doctor and see what happens. Ask normal questions, not "trick questions," and expect honest answers (evasive answers or non-answers to honest questions would be a tip off that the chemistry is wrong):

  • Find out what hospitals the doctor is on staff at.
  • Find out who covers for the doctor if he/she's unavailable (presumably the doc's partner, but double-check if they have coverage arrangements with other doctors also participating).
  • Find out what you should do for your daughter if a problem occurred after normal office hours.
  • Find out whether he/she feels the ADA, or the JDF, or both, are doing a good job in your area.
  • If at all possible, bring along your daughter's previous medical records with you, and ask the new doctor to review them and comment on them.

Ideally, the doctor should be a board-certified Pediatric Endocrinologist, with Certified Diabetes Educators working alongside. Definitely, the doctor's practice should have a lot of kids with diabetes.


Original posting 3 Nov 96


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:08:52
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.