Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

I am concerned that my girlfriend may have diabetes. She always get the shakes and feels nauseated when she doesn't eat. She sleeps excessively and drinks a very heavy amount of liquids. Are these symptoms? If they are, is there a place where she can get tested for free or at a low cost?


It is possible that your girlfriend gets hypoglycemic, which is a way that Type 1 Diabetes can sometimes present, particularly in young adults. To exclude this, she should have at least a fasting blood sugar done; but it also sounds as though she needs a general health evaluation.

If she does not have insurance, then you should call the State or the City Public Health Department and ask for the nearest facility that can take care of her. It is likely to be a University Hospital or a Neighborhood Health Clinic. As back-up, you should also get in touch with the nearest office of the American Diabetes Association. To help the clinic it would make sense for your friend to go without food intake for three hours before having a blood sample drawn.


Original posting 3 Dec 96


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:08:52
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.