Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From California, USA:

My ten year old son has had fluctuating blood sugar levels of 60 to 280 consistently for the last three and a half weeks. He has lost over 10 pounds in this time. He is nauseated when eating or after eating. He has "orange breath." He has extensive family history of diabetes. Extreme fatigue,also, especially in the morning. Hemoglobin A 1C was within normal range (high normal). I had to fight the doctor's office to get a C Peptide and Glucose tolerance done. They neglected to inform me of the results, and after three demanding phone calls today, they finally called back to say all tests were normal. The nurse was extremely snotty and told me that I was probably making him neurotic by pursuing this or that the monitor we are using was wrong. (The monitor was cleaned and calibrated two weeks ago, in the event that this might happen.) I asked the doctor's office what then, might be the problem, and had to fight to get an appointment in two weeks, to pursue other avenues. They are completely blowing it off. I am so frustrated and angry and scared tonight, I can't see straight.

What I need to know, it what can I or should I be doing now? Every instinct I have as a mommy is telling me there is something wrong with this little boy. My instincts are also telling me that we probably caught it immediately and that if we get serious now about it, this little boy will have every chance to grow into a healthy, and long life.

But at this point, I simply don't know what to do or who to turn to. The health insurance company will not authorize another opinion. The doctor's office implied very strongly that the problem was mine. (I have been a teacher for 20 years and have long since learned not to overreact to what children do. Neither am I doing this for attention.)

Please, can you give me some practical, commonsense ideas about where to turn and/or who to turn to? I want to deal with it now, so that six months down to road this child doesn't have serious problem, like going into a coma, and then having the doctors admit there might be something wrong. Thank you for any help or guidance you can give me.


I would ask the doctor to have a blood sugar drawn in the lab when the meter says over 200 to confirm that you are using the meter correctly (as soon as possible). If this is confirmed, and they aren't taking you seriously, I would go out of network for a second opinion, pay for it you can or borrow money from friends/relatives, then try to sue the insurance company to get back what you spent - first through whatever the official grievance committee is at work or the state. You can also try local small claims court to get back some out of pocket money. I would buy strips to test the urine for ketones. If positive, he must be seen immediately!


Original posting 31 Dec 96


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:08:52
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.