Question:

From Phoenix, Arizona, USA:

Do Type 2 diabetics produce ketones? I'm a 41 year old overweight female. I was diagnosed with type II diabetes approximately 1 year ago, diet controlled. My sister, niece, and son are Type 1 diabetics. I have two other sons that have tested positive for ICA's. Two years ago I tested negative for ICA's. I have been having small ketones on a regular basis with blood glucose levels at 150-185. Moderate ketones with blood glucose of 264. Is it possible that I am an evolving type 1? I was under the impression that Type 2's did not have to worry about ketones.

Answer:

People with Type 2 diabetes can spill ketones during an illness (and may temporarily need insulin). Given your strong family history of Type 1 diabetes, it is also possible, that you are slowly developing Type 1 diabetes (at the early stage of Type 1 diabetes, ketones may not be present). If you are spilling ketones, I suggest you contact your own physician for further evaluation.

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.