Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

Where are the best body spots for insulin shots? I am insulin dependant for 15 years and I ran out of suitable spots on the body.

I am on Human insulin. I don't have a pancreas anymore and I have to monitor carefully, and inject between 6 and 10 times depending on the days. I have used the abdomen and lower abdomen area, as well as the upper arms. However, after a decade of hard shots the area is saturated, and I really don't know when I shoot if the injection is going to work. I am taking chromium, Gurmar and blueberry tea, and my daily compounded dosage does not exceed 12 units of Mixtard (30 fast and 70 slow). I am on a very strict diet. Any advice is welcomed since I cannot find help locally, my case being uncommon.


You say you "don't have a pancreas anymore." I don't know whether you mean your pancreas has just completely stopped making insulin or whether you have had your pancreas surgically removed. If you have had your pancreas surgically removed, you probably also need to replace the digestive enzymes made by the exocrine pancreas to help with digestion of food.

There is no one place that is best to inject insulin. If you have not yet tried the legs or buttocks, these might be areas to try. You are correct that you should try to avoid injecting into "hard areas."

I don't understand why you are using Mixtard (fixed combination of Regular and NPH) if you are injecting 6 to 10 times a day depending on the day. If you are injecting that frequently, it might make more sense to inject fixed amounts of NPH, Lente, or Ultralente twice daily and then to add varying amounts of Regular or lispro insulin [Humalog®] frequently during the day.

If you are having trouble with one brand of Human insulin, you may want to try another brand. Novo Nordisk and Eli Lilly both manufacture human insulin.

Most importantly, it really sounds as though you need to work closely with an endocrinologist to help you manage these problems. I suggest you contact your local diabetes association and ask for the name of someone. Even if you have to travel for a consultation, it would be well worth it if you are able to.


Original posting 26 Jul 97


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:08:54
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.