Question:

From Rhode Island, USA:

My 20 year old daughter (diagnosed 9 years ago with Type 1) had a severe hypoglycemic reaction at a friend's house two days ago. She had a seizure and her friend called the emergency phone number. She was treated with glucose, fed her lunch and released. Two days later, she still has a severe headache, has muscle soreness and is very tired. How long can she expect to feel these symptoms after a seizure? Do anti-seizure medications help in diabetes-related seizures?

Answer:

I am uncomfortable with attributing your daughter's continuing headache and other symptoms to an insulin reaction two days ago. If you haven't already arranged to do so, she should be seen by a physician for further evaluation.

Anti-seizure medications are not used to treat hypoglycemic seizures. However, sometimes anti-seizure medications are used to help control chronic painful diabetic neuropathy.

WWQ

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.