Question:

From Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA:

My primary-care physician no longer accepts my used needles. What is the best way to properly dispose of insulin needles? Who can I contact in my area?

Answer:

It's a growing problem. It is very expensive to dispose of used needles; it has become prohibitively so for many hospitals and medical offices. Your local rubbish disposal company probably has a more cost-effective method; check with them about their rules (and about any city or state regulations).

There are some companies that offer mail-order disposal for about US$3 for a container full of syringes.

Also, see Syringe Disposal Program for more information.

SS

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.