Question:

From Pennsylvania, USA:

What is the proper sequence in drawing up Ultralente, Regular, and Humalog? I believe it is air into U then the R then H. Then draw.

Answer:

I don't believe there is an official way to mix Humalog/Regular and long acting insulin, as mixing R and H has not been officially approved (but is being extensively used).

I have told my patients to draw up the short acting insulins first and then the cloudy, and to inject immediately. I would speak to your own diabetes care provider for individual advice.

LM

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.