Question:

From Toronto, Ontario, Canada:

I'm a 22 year old woman who was diagnosed with Type 1 at age 14. In the past three years, I've noticed an increase & thickening of hair growth. Because there are no other real signs of masculinization (body shape, deepening of the voice, or genital swelling), I'm reluctant to say this is hirsutism. I also associate hirsutism and polycystic ovaries with obesity. Although I'm not obese, I do work hard at weight loss, with only marginal success (I work out four times a week). With that said, I suppose my question is, are there any endocrine disorders I should be considering, in which my diabetes is also a factor, that would cause this excess hair growth? I also must confess to a poor history. I no longer have a regular doctor, nor have I for four years.

Answer:

Without a physical examination and additional tests it is difficult to make any recommendations. I would suggest that you make an appointment with a physician to further discuss this.

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.