Question:

From America On-Line:

I am trying to find out how much sugar there is in a can of soda, but not in terms of grams. I want something more concrete to explain to young children, for instance, teaspoons.

Answer:

There are 9.4 teaspoons of sugar in a 12 ounce can of Coca-Cola. Here is how I figured this: There are 4 grams of carbohydrate in a teaspoon of sugar so a 12 ounce can of Coke with 37.5 grams of carbohydrate divided by 4 grams per teaspoon equals 9.4 teaspoons of sugar. I have measured this out in a pile to show to kids and it is pretty impressive. You can do this with anything that has a label -- have fun.

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.