Question:

From WebTV:

I just had one question for you. My mother says that diabetics cannot drink alcoholic beverages. Now I was just wanting to know if this was true or false. I don't mean to go out and get drunk but on special occasions?

Answer:

I generally advise my young type 1 diabetic patients that on very special occasions they can have some light alcoholic drinks (aperitifs or wine/beer) and this is much safer if the alcohol is consumed with foods. This because alcohol can decrease blood sugar. Alcohol also contains calories which must be counted in a diabetes meal plan.

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.