Question:

From Orlando, Florida, USA:

I have a question regarding meat analogs and soy protein products, and how to count them for carb counting for insulin pump therapy. I have a teenager I am counseling who follows a vegetarian diet with these type of proteins included in his diet, and his blood glucose levels have been difficult to control. Do you have any ideas?

Answer:

I am at a loss as to why the meat analogs would make a difference since it is a protein and I assume some carbohydrate. If your patients are carb counting, the carb can be figured in. I have not worked with any children on pumps who are vegetarians so I am afraid I am not much help here.

JM

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.