Question:

From New Zealand:

I have a 10 year old daughter diagnosed with type 1 about 6 months ago. I would like to enquire about the new injections that do not use a needle. Where can they be obtained from and how much do they cost?

Answer:

I'm sorry that I don't have the details that you require about where to get a jet injector but, I'm sure that you could find out from your clinic. Jet injectors have been around for quite a while and were originally introduced for mass immunisation programmes. Contrary to popular belief, they do not give painless injections -- simply needleless injections. They are expensive (around £150-300) and generally quite cumbersome. If your daughter is having problems with injections, there are a number of alternatives. There are simple devices which hold and 'fire' a standard syringe and a variety of pen devices (e.g., the Diapen which hides the needle until a trigger is pressed and then injects the insulin and the Novo Nordisk 'Penmate' which holds a standard NovoPen and does a similar job). If the problem were more severe, then an experienced psychologist could help a great deal to desensitise her.

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.