Question:

From California, USA:

Does Brewer's Yeast work like cornstarch to slow glucose absorption?

Answer:

As far as I know, that was a thought about 10-15 years ago. It is very rich in many nutrients, but quite unpalatable, so I do not see it recommended.

LSF

Additional Comments from Dr. Donough O'Brien:

Another reason for the use of Brewers Yeast was for its content of a chromium-containing factor called 'glucose tolerance factor'. The fad never really caught on.

Additional comment added 27 Dec 1998

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.