Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Houston, Texas, USA:

Two years ago our 22 year old daughter was diagnosed with diabetes (Type 1). She is a full time college student living at home with us and completely dependent on us for support. So far she has been considered a "brittle" diabetic. She is about to turn 23 and my husband's health insurance has notified us that her coverage will be discontinued on her next birthday. She will finish her nursing degree a year from May. Do you know of any way that the insurance company can be forced to cover her until she graduates in May 2000? Are there any provisions for this in the Americans With Disabilities Act? A friend said that she was able to get her insurance company to continue coverage on her son for the remainder of the calendar year that he was to be discontinued. Even that would help. Paying for books, tuition, and all of my daughter's diabetes related expenses will be devastating to us. What can we do?


Call your insurance company and ask about COBRA coverage. It is temporary insurance that continues your present policy for 6-18 months. You have to pay for it, but it is usually cheaper than purchasing a separate policy on your own. Also get a copy of your husband's insurance plan and make sure your daughter won't be covered as long as she is a full time student.

If none of these suggestions help, contact the school and see if they have less expensive insurance for their students. Alternatively, if you have to pay for insurance, contact the financial aid department at the school and see if they can help you either with some more financial aid or a loan.


Additional comments from The Editor:

Contact her university. Many offer group health insurance policies to students.


Original posting 6 Feb 1999
Posted to Social Issues: Insurance/Costs


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:02
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.