Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Monterey Park, California USA:

My mother is a middleaged woman, around 50, of Asian descent. Currently, she's diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. She is experiencing pain in the lower and upper spine sections, the chest, her abdomen. She has feet that look like they are swollen. She get's this terrible pain in them. Can you tell me why this is occurring? Her doctor merely describes this situation based on the fact that she has diabetes, yet she hasn't explained why or how we should ease the pain.


I'm not sure of what's going on, but I do have a recommendation.

If your doctor doesn't have both an explanation and adequate treatment, he/she should arrange a consultation with another physician to evaluate the situation. If the doctor hasn't yet, then your mom and you should demand a "second opinion." If he/she already has, he/she should share the results of the evaluation with your mom, and if your mom agrees, with you.


Original posting 6 Mar 1999
Posted to Other Illnesses


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:02
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.