Question:

From Plano, Texas, USA:

Both my parents, my wife, and I have diabetes. My parents are both type 1 and so am I. My wife is a type 2. What are the chances of our children having diabetes?

Answer:

Roughly speaking, the risk for your children is around 6%-15%, summing up your family's positive history for type 1 diabetes and the risk towards type 2 from your wife's family.

Posted to Genetics and Heredity

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.