From Caledon, Ontario, Canada:
In your opinion, would children who have recently been diagnosed with diabetes and have been in mouldy portable classrooms have any health risks by remaining in these portables? Is there any link if the diabetes is not genetic but more environmentally caused that this could be a possible link, or that once being diagnosed remaining in the portable could be harmful and should be monitored or should the child be considered for placement in the school. In Ontario, mould in the portables is a wide concern among health experts as well as parents. Should I be concerned?
Diabetes in children does not have a direct environmental cause that I am aware of. My concern with the portable classroom would be that the student have access to the school nurse and/or adults to help in the case of a low blood sugar or emergency event. For example, the portable should have a communication system that allows the teacher to notify the office if any type of help is needed (not just for diabetes). Also the student should have access to drinking water and bathroom facilities as should all other students.
I would think the mold would have more of an effect on the respiratory tract and could cause problems for children with asthma and allergies.
Original posting 12 Apr 1999
Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:02
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.