Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA:

My question is on behalf of a young family who lives in a very small town in northern Minnesota. They have just had their 5th child [now 8 months]. This child was born with Nonketotic Hyperglycemia. They found a support group for this disorder, where their child will never grow up mentally, but because of the rarity of the disease they are quite disbursed around the globe. Is there a university or research facility which may specialize in this where they can get updates? Is this disease/condition so rare that it is not looked at in the research field? What type of doctor or specialist is seen for this disorder?


I think that you are referring to non-ketotic hypoglycaemia. This is a result of a number of conditions collectively known as the inborn errors of metabolism. Sometimes they present with profoundly low blood sugars which cause damage to the brain before the diagnosis is clear. However, if your friends' son has not had such an episode then there is a good chance that it can be avoided.

Any major teaching children's hospital will have someone on the staff with a special interest in such disorders.


Original posting 30 Jun 1999
Posted to Other Illnesses


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:06
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.