Question:

From Madrid, Spain:

My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 5 months ago. She then had a cholesterol of 301 mg/dl. I have now repeated it (4 months after diagnosis) and it still is 250 mg/dl. What is the current status or recommendations of therapy with lipid lowering agents in children and in children with diabetes? Should I wait before starting such therapy? Her diet includes about 26% fat. Should I lower it?

Answer:

I would certainly look at family history in addition to the actual levels. Also, do you have your daughter's LDL and HDL level?

Anyway, as far as medications go, I must defer to having a pediatrician give counsel on that.

LSF

Additional Comments from Dr. Larry Deeb:

Pediatric endocrinologists and lipid specialists will use lipid lowering agents. The levels of total cholesterol, HDL, LDL and triglycerides as well as family history play a part in the decision.

Additional comment added 14 Sep 1999
Posted to Other Medications

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.