Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Guatemala:

I have had diabetes type 1 (IDDM) since I was 13 years old. I am now 30 years old. I have had some hypoglycemic shocks during nights and snaps (frequently I get in lower levels of blood sugar without symptoms). I have to live away from my parents who have previously cared for me. Are there any machines or alarms that I could use or connect to my body to check my blood glucose and to inject glucagon (if there is a severe hypoglycemia) when I am sleeping? And could a younger adult with IDDM live alone?


I'm afraid that no such machine or device exists. Many young people with diabetes live alone quite safely but they have to take special care over avoiding hypoglycaemia - especially at night. One of the most important pieces of advice is to be very careful with alcohol which prevents the liver from releasing glucose when the blood glucose falls. (If you have been drinking alcoholic beverages, then you should eat extra carbohydrate before going to bed.)


Original posting 26 Aug 1999
Posted to Research: Monitoring


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:06
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.