Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From New Mexico, USA:

In order to qualify for the CDE designation, must you have a Bachelor's degree? I am currently going to get my RN next summer and I should have my LPN here in a month.


After a flurry of discussion, the National Certification Board for Diabetes Educators has recently released their latest requirements (below). Once you have your RN, you will be able to start accumulating the work experience required to qualify. Good luck! We need all the good diabetes educators we can get.

  • The applicant must hold a current unrestricted United States license or registration as a Registered Nurse, Dietitian, Pharmacist, Physician, Physician Assistant, Podiatrist, Physical Therapist, or Occupational Therapist, OR be a health care professional with a minimum of a master's degree from a United States college or university in one of the following areas of health care practice: nutrition, social work, clinical psychology, exercise physiology, health education or public health.

  • After meeting education requirements and before applying for the Certification Examination, the applicant must have a minimum of two (2) calendar years experience in direct diabetes patient and self-management education.

  • Within those two years, or up to five (5) calendar years prior to the date of application for the examination, the applicant must have worked a minimum of 1000 hours in direct diabetes patient and self-management education.

  • The applicant must be engaged in the practice of direct diabetes patient and self-management education at the time of the application for the Certification Examination.

  • The applicant must complete and submit a current application for the Certification Examination for Diabetes Educators and pay the examination fee.

When you're ready to read more about applying, the Certification Board is on-line at


Original posting 27 Aug 1999
Posted to Other


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:06
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.