Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Houston, Texas, USA:

My son was diagnosed 1 year ago with Type 1 diabetes. He is still in his honeymoon. We are contemplating a move to Rio de Janeiro and would like to find out the medical capabilities of other countries, specifically Rio, Brazil in our case. Can you share to best way to determine these capabilities abroad?


Rio will certainly have facilities for managing childhood diabetes but I can't offer specific advice. Perhaps you could start by contacting the Brazilian embassy or the American Diabetes Association.


Additional comments from Dr. O'Brien:

There is one pediatric endocrinologist listed in the Directory of Members of the ADA as practising in Rio. I think it would be wise to make contact before you move and to have your son's doctor write to the Brazilian physician; at the same time you could enquire about the availability of supplies.


Original posting 10 Nov 1999
Posted to Other


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:06
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.