Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From America On-Line:

I have a 10 year old daughter who has diabetes. I am having a lot of problems with her. It seems she doesn't even care about her self. My husband and I are very upset with her and afraid. What can we do? I have just recently hooked her up to speak with other children on the computer about this but she hasn't bothered with it; all she wants to do is play around. She is also very mean to everybody in the family and doesn't care whose feelings she hurts. Is there anyone out there that can help us? My daughter's sugar level is always above 250 and its because she doesn't listen to us. She knows what can happen to her. She doesn't see a diabetic doctor because we can't afford one. She does receive Medicaid but only the pediatrician sees her -- the diabetic doctors discriminate and won't see her because she only has medicaid. We're really scared: someone please help us so we can help her -- her life is in our hands.


I am so proud to hear from such committed parents! You are right, your child needs the care of an endocrinologist (specialist in diabetes) and you must fight for that care. In my town, there is a clinic serving people with Medicaid and it has an endocrinologist volunteering his time there. Do you have such a service where you live?

Don't give up. Your child needs you to be her advocate. I would get social services on your side and push until you find the right care. Your child is probably picking up on your fears and you must be confident and courageous on her behalf. Contact the American Diabetes Association or Juvenile Diabetes Foundation for guidance and your local United Way agencies. Never give up!


Original posting 15 Jun 2000
Posted to Social Issues: Community Resources


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:10
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.