Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Seattle, Washington, USA:

I have type 1 diabetes (diagnosed at age nine, managing the disease for 20+ years). My mother passed at age 44 and had had diabetes since age four. I am in social work school and, given the impact diabetes has had in my life, I'd like to work with people who have diabetes. Can you give advice regarding career paths? Are there many job opportunities out there? Is a degree as a diabetes counselor required? Suggestions?


I would suggest becoming a certified diabetes educator or CDE. You will need to complete your social work degree and then contact the National Certification Board for Diabetes Educators to be sure of the requirements at that point since they do vary a bit over time. There is a great need for MSW CDEs. We all know.


Original posting 27 Aug 2000
Posted to Other Social Issues


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:12
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.