Question:

From Easley, South Carolina, USA:

I have recently just been diagnosed with hypoglycemia, and I don't know what kind of diet I am supposed to be on.

Answer:

Since hypoglycemia is caused by too much insulin in the system, it is best to eat foods which will not stimulate a lot of insulin to be released. In general, it is best to avoid concentrated sweets and to eat small meals at least six times a day. A diet which is balanced in protein, carbohydrate (other than sweets) and fat is appropriate. For further details, I would suggest you contact a dietitian who can help you plan a diet which will be appropriate for you.

JM

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Hypoglycemia

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.