Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Johnstown, Pennsylvania, USA:

I am 21 years old, have had diabetes for three years, and was on a public assistance program for health assistance. When I turned 21, they cut off my help. I have a seven month old daughter, and my income is very limited. Do you know of a health insurance plan that is or doesn't cost much that I would be able to get on?


With one child to support you might be eligible for Medicaid and beyond that there is a second tier of help in all states. For children it is called the Child Health Program and there is a parallel one for adults called by different names in different states. You should call the State Department of Social Services; but be prepared for formidable application forms.


Original posting 3 Nov 2000
Posted to Social Issues: Insurance/Costs


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:16
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.