Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Thompson, Pennsylvania, USA:

My sister was told that her son has water diabetes. She would like more information about this.


There is no such thing as "water diabetes." However, your sister may be referring to something called Diabetes Insipidus in which the body does not control water balance. This occurs because of a missing hormone from the pituitary gland called vasopressin or because of some problems with how the kidney processes water.

The more common disorder, diabetes mellitus, is the type of diabetes in which the body has either an absolute or relative lack of insulin or an abnormality of insulin effect on tissues.

Consultation with an endocrinologist would be appropriate if the diagnosis of diabetes insipidus is being considered.


Original posting 30 Nov 2000
Posted to Diabetes Insipidus


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:16
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.