Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Maplewood, New Jersey, USA:

I am on an insulin pump and very insulin resistant. I currently use Humalog and require about 130 to 150 units daily. I wish to become pregnant in the near future and know that I will require considerably more insulin before and during this time. I am seeking information about availability of U-400 insulin. My understanding is that it is available for implantable insulin pumps. Can it be used in external pumps? Where can my doctor and I find more information on the availability of this insulin? Is it fast-acting like Humalog?


One of the things which is not clear from your question is whether you have typeá1 or typeá2 diabetes. I would assume that there is a degree of insulin resistance with your current insulin requirements. All individuals may have their insulin requirements decreased by exercise and maintenance of healthy weight. Above that, patients with type 2 diabetes may improve their insulin resistance with Glucophage [metformin] or a thiazolidinedione drug. However, these latter medicines are either controversial or contradicted with pregnancy. With regard to the availability of U-400 insulin (400 U per 1 ml volume), I would recommend you speak with a representative from the pharmaceutical industry. I have been told these insulins are available upon demand. You would have to work very close with your physician when implementing therapy with the insulin because of the risk of over-treatment with such a concentrated insulin.


[Editor's comment: U-500 insulin is available from Lilly and can be used in external pumps. Your physician will need to contact the company directly. I believe, however, it is Regular and not Humalog. SS]

Original posting 4 Dec 2000
Posted to Insulin and Insulin Pumps


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:16
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.