Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From El Paso, Texas, USA:

My 14 year old grandson was diagnosed with diabetes a year ago. His diabetes is out of control. So is my grandson. He's a very angry person, and he needs help. Where can I go? What can I do?


You don't mention who your grandson lives with, what he is doing that is "out of control", what kinds of support he has, or what kind of help you have already tried to give him. So, my advice might include things you have already tried.

The first thing I would do is talk with his diabetes team, and get a referral for a mental health counselor that works with teens with diabetes. If they do not know of anyone, go to the pediatrician to get referrals for counselors that specialize in teens with out of control behavior. Your grandson is a minor and does not get to choose whether or not he goes. However, if treatment has a chance of being successful, it will have to include his family. This will require a continued and serious commitment to family therapy with the goal of helping your grandson gain control of his behavior and his diabetes.


Original posting 8 Jan 2001
Posted to Behavior


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:18
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.