Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Leavenworth, Kansas, USA:

My three and one-half year old grandson weighs 72 pounds and has gained this weight within a year. He was diagnosed as having "inherited insulin resistance", and we cannot find any information on this illness. The doctor wants to give him Glucophage, but we are skeptical. Please help us.


I guess your grandson's doctor means insulin resistance, which is an impaired sensibility of cellular receptors of peripheral tissues towards insulin molecules. Biguanides (such as Glucophage [metformin]), are indicated to restore insulin sensitivity. Diet is the cornerstone for any treatment of an overweight person.


[Editor's comment: In my opinion, using a diabetes drug like Glucophage in a child who does not have diabetes should be considered only as part of a comprehensive program by a pediatric endocrinologist. If the doctor doesn't fit this description, consider asking for a referral. WWQ]

Original posting 14 Feb 2001
Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Pills for Diabetes


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:18
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.