From Berkeley Heights, New Jersey, USA:

I have a student who is 14 years old and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 11. I know that going through puberty can cause levels blood sugar levels to be unstable. Can this also cause a decrease in ability to concentrate and complete a task?

Yes, there is growing evidence that high (as well as low) blood sugars can affect concentration.

Posted to Behavior

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.