Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Findlay, Ohio, USA:

I am 19 years old and in college. Is there any way I can get college paid for because of this disability?


Diabetes does not usually qualify as a disability although it is a chronic illness. However, if you have major problems with eyes, heart, kidneys, stomach, nervous system, etc, then this might qualify you for some disability assistance. You should discuss this with the local authorities.

Also, you should talk to the financial aid office at school since there are frequently unused funds available for those with all kinds of medical/chronic care issues. Sometimes directly for people with diabetes and sometimes merely listed under medical problems, chronic health care needs, etc. Be a good detective the financial aid advisors to find out.


[Editor's comment: Diabetes is not considered a disability, in terms of Social Security benefits, unless you have complications. Please see David Mendosa's article, Financial Assistance, at the ADA website, and an answer to a previous question on this topic. SS]

Original posting 27 Feb 2001
Posted to Community Resources


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:18
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.