From Okawville, Illinois, USA:

About a year ago, I had my gallbladder removed, and within two months, I had not only gained back the fifty pounds I had previously lost, but 20 more pounds. Since the surgery my bowel habits have changed. I go more often (three to four times a day), I have had bouts of diarrhea for the last six months or so, and sometimes my movement is green. I eat fairly healthy, hardly any beef, and I drink over a gallon of water a day. Is something wrong?

It is difficult to say whether something is wrong. The diarrhea could be related to your gall bladder no longer being present, although not necessarily. Drinking a gallon of water a day could be a sign of diabetes, especially since you have gained a lot of weight.

I recommend that you see your primary care physician and/or your gallbladder surgeon to be evaluated with a physical exam and some blood tests, and possibly some other tests on your bowels.

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.