Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Brighton, Illinois, USA:

I am worried that my nine year old daughter may have diabetes. Both sides of our families have it. My concern is, I am a single mother without medical insurance. How can I go about getting help for my daughter?


I would talk to your local health and welfare department to see if you qualify for Medicaid. There is also a federal program called CHIPS which provides medical insurance and little or no cost to you for families that may not qualify for Medicaid but have limited resources. Your local Health and Welfare agency should be able to direct you to appropriate resources. If you are concerned that your daughter may have diabetes, please don't wait to have her evaluated.


[Editor's comment: See Simulation of Medicaid and SCHIP Eligibility: Implications of Findings From 10 States.

I would ask your daughter's school nurse and counsellor about resources in your area. Also, most communities have free health clinics where you can have your daughter seen. SS]

Original posting 11 Apr 2001
Posted to Community Resources


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:20
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.