Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Flemingsburg, Kentucky, USA:

My 23 year old daughter has type 1 diabetes and just lost her job and insurance because she was in the hospital quite a bit. She now has no way to pay for her insulin or medical supplies, and she does not live with us. We have tried to help her when we can, but I also have diabetes, and we have another physically handicapped daughter who is also very expensive for us. Is there any way she can get some help just to get her insulin and syringes?


If your daughter does not have dependent children, she would not be eligible for Medicaid unless she has a disability, and states vary as to whether they consider diabetes a disability. Individual states also have an arrangement for providing care to the indigent, and your daughter should check this out with the appropriate agency in her nearest city hospital or university hospital, usually the admissions office. This is important to pursue because the reason for her prolonged hopitalisation for diabetes needs to be evaluated and treated so that if at all possible it does not recur when she is employed again.


Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

Best to get her to speak with her diabetes team -- the doctor, nurse, dietitian or social worker on the team will know of local resources. She should be eligible for state Medicaid benefits with a chronic illness and no job. In some states, when insurance benefits are lost because of loss of job, there is a situation called COBRA coverage which allows the person to pick up insurance between jobs. This is expensive since it means covering the health care insurance premiums on your own but certainly less costly than going with one's medications or supplies. The local Medicaid office would also be a resource to visit for assistance options.


[Editor's comment: You should have your daughter contact the local chapter of the American Diabetes Association to find out what resources are available in your area. SS]

Original posting 9 Jun 2001
Posted to Insurance/Costs


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:22
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.