Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Jersey City, New Jersey, USA:

My aunt is blind, can see very little light, and her doctor said that there is nothing else he can do. We need a second opinion. Can you recommend or perhaps refer us to another eye specialist in our area?


I am sorry to hear of your aunt's situation. You do not say what caused her blindness. My suggestion to you would be to call the local medical society in your area which should be able to give you the names of some other doctors to see. If there is a medical school in your area, you may make an appointment with one of their eye doctors. These are the doctors that train other doctors.

What is most important is that whomever your aunt sees spends the time to explain what has happened, why it happened and what my be expected in the future. Take a list of questions and be sure to get them answered.


[Editor's comment: It may be helpful to ask your aunt's present eye doctor for a referral to another ophthalmologist. For example, with some diabetic eye problems, specially trained eye doctors called "retinal ophthalmologists" can either offer some new advice, or reconfirm that nothing else can be done. WWQ]

Original posting 18 Jun 2001
Posted to Complications


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:22
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.