Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Glendale, Arizona, USA:

I am going to Mexico City on a mission trip with my church. Do I need any special identification saying that I have diabetes? Do I need any special information to take my insulin and syringes across the border?


It is exceedingly unlikely that your possession of insulin, syringes and testing materials will be misinterpreted by Mexican customs especially if you are with a church group. Nonetheless, a brief note from your doctor to say that you have diabetes would provide a final assurance.


Additional comments from Lois Schmidt Finney, diabetes dietitian:

Just to be sure, I would say to bring a prescription for your needles and insulin. Be sure to keep them with you and not in your luggage. Drink plenty of water (bottled) and take it easy, if possible. You may be doing more activity and with the heat, may run into more lows than usual.


[Editor's comment: If you're going to be gone a long time, bring a Traveling Medical Record with you. WWQ]

Original posting 28 Jul 2001
Posted to Traveling


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:24
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.