Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Cleveland, Ohio, USA:

I am a 30 year old, who has had diabetes since the age of seven, and have severe atrophy on my legs which began when I was young causing "shelves" in my legs. I have not given injections in my legs for over 10 years, but after giving birth a few months ago, the atrophy worsened.

I saw a plastic surgeon who said that my legs could be liposuctioned, but my right leg could not be fixed completely because the "shelf" prevents the fat from being evenly distributed causing a bulge. Since the procedure is cosmetic, I would have to pay cash for the liposuction. Do you know of any other procedure that can be done? Is there any way to persuade my insurance company into paying a portion of the liposuction?


I have to say that I am not an expert in lipoatrophy as severe as you have described. I would suggest a second opinion from another plastic surgeon. This may help to determine whether this is a usual practice or something your original surgeon was not familiar/comfortable with.

As far as insurance payment, this is an ongoing issue for individuals who have "cosmetic" problems which are way out of the ordinary and impact overall health. I would suggest you speak with other individuals about this. You can speak with your human resource representative, the insurance oversight board in your state, an attorney, or the insurance company for more information relating to your case.


Additional comments from David Holtzman, Director of Government Affairs, Am. Assoc. of Diabetes Educators:

Medical insurance and HMO contracts typically exclude procedures that are thought to be "cosmetic". In order for an insurer to cover a procedure there must be a clear causal relationship to the physical manifestation of disease or trauma. In your situation you must make a case to your insurer that there is a medical reason that you must have the liposuction procedure. To do this you will need to have a physician document that because of this condition your legs cause you pain, do not function properly, or are the result of some other physical manifestation of disease.


Original posting 3 Aug 2001
Posted to Insurance/Costs


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:24
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.