Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Columbus, Ohio, USA:

I am a 23 year old, newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes, who is getting ready to go to an amusement park (Cedar Point) and was told by a friend that people with diabetes can receive "VIP" passes for rides so that they do not have to wait in line. I don't know how I would feel about taking advantage of it (I don't see myself as disabled), but it is quite interesting. Is this true? How would you prove to them that you have diabetes?


We asked our Events Coordinator to answer this question. Her reply is as follows:

Amusement parks have different rules regarding Special Assistance Passes for individuals with typeá1 diabetes. You'll need to contact Cedar Point's Guest Services or Guest Relations directly to find out their specific rules. Generally, what you need to consider in requesting a special pass are the following questions:

  1. Is your physical health in any way compromised by waiting in the heat? (thinking here of high/low blood glucose as a result of the stress of a very warm environment)
  2. Do you wear an insulin pump? (insulin in the tubing, when sitting in very hot environments, can lose potency)

A special assistance pass may give you several options. It does not necessarily mean that a person gets to go to the front of the line for every attraction. Some special assistance might include waiting in a shaded area, waiting in an air conditioned area, entering the attraction from the handicapped entrance, sitting near the water fountain (hydration is so very important on hot days).

From experience with the last two Children with Diabetes conferences in Orlando, I can attest to the fact that Special Assistance Passes were very necessary for some children and not necessary at all for others. It all depends how one reacts to the heat -- it's very individual. Do not feel badly about requesting one! If it is a choice between standing in long lines in the heat and getting physically ill because of your type 1 diabetes or requesting a special pass and using it when necessary, by all means get one!

Laura Billetdeaux, Events Coordinator, Children with Diabetes/Diabetes123

Your diabetes identification or a written note from your diabetes team should serve as proof that you have diabetes. However, it is my understanding that many parks don't ask for proof.


Original posting 8 Aug 2001
Posted to Other Social Issues


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:24
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.