Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Depew, New York, USA:

I am a 31year old who has type 1 diabetes, and I will be traveling to Moscow and Kazakhstan for a month. Do you have any information on hospitals or doctors in these areas or how I could go about finding out this information?


There is a large Endocrinology Institute in Moscow has excellent facilities and likely many folks there who are fluent in English. In general, if you are in an emergency, and there is sufficient time, ask to go to the nearest medical university since they will likely have better facilities and someone who can speak English. Of course, bring more than enough supplies so that if some gets stolen or lost, you still have enough to last.


Additional comments from David S. Holtzman, Esq.:

If you have health insurance, contact your insurer to learn if they have any preferred or contracted providers in the locations to which you will be traveling. Contact the Consular Offices of the US State Department in country. You can learn more from the State Department website.

Read the Lonely Planet Guides. I find these guides to be exhaustively researched and very much inclusive or what every traveler needs to know.

Do not forget to make sure that your insurance covers you for medical services provided abroad as well as evacuation back to the USA. Many policies do not and you might have to purchase separate coverage from a travel insurance specialist. Often the coverage is available for less than $100. Cheap compared to the tens of thousands of dollars it would cost to be evacuated back to the USA on the special charter aircraft necessary if you are badly ill or injured.


[Editor's comment: Also see Traveling with Diabetes. SS]

Original posting 10 Aug 2001
Posted to Traveling and Community Resources


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:24
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.