Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

My friend has a three year son who has had diabetes since the age of 15 months, and she truly believes that she is taking wonderful care of her son, but his past two A1c levels were a little over 13%, and you should see his arms! This mother believes that as long as he has not been hospitalized since his diagnosis that he is doing just fine. The child refuses to let his mom give him shots anywhere else but his arms -- I don't think a three year old should be able to make that decision. The backs of his little arms look like something from a horror story. It looks like there is a huge goose egg under the skin. I have never seen anything like it. This mother has never read up on diabetes and the long term side effects. Sometimes, she doesn't even give her son his shot!

This mother honestly believes that she is doing a perfect job. How do you tell someone who has a child with diabetes that she is hurting her child? Would this child's arms ever return to normal if she did start to use another site for injection?


You might wish to sit down with your friend and go through different aspects of this website. You can present it to her by mentioning that you'd recently learned about a great website for parents of children with diabetes and you'd like to show it to her.

You may also wish to contact her pediatrician or her diabetes team to express your worries, and to alert them to the fact your friend does not have accurate information about caring for a child with diabetes. The high hemoglobin A1c suggests that she is not going to a diabetes team regularly.

Good luck in helping your friend and her son.


[Editor's comment: Unfortunately, you really cannot speak with this child's care team directly without his mother's permission. In addition to Jill's thoughts, I'd suggest offering to attend some diabetes classes and clinic appointments with her, under the premise that you might be able to help out managing the diabetes if you understood more.

If this mother refuses help of any sort, your only alternative would be to contact your local division of social services to investigate the neglect. I know this is a difficult thing to do, but it may be the only way to insure the safety of this child. SS]

Original posting 25 Aug 2001
Posted to Other Social Issues


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:26
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.