Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Fresno, California, USA:

I am twenty one years old, have had typeá1 diabetes for the last fourteen years, and I have spent most of my life in and out of intensive care, and almost died several times from DKA [diabetic ketoacidosis]. I have felt a prisoner in my body my entire life, and I was never able to attend school with other students -- I had to have more than half of my schooling through home studies which left me extremely isolated.

I was also in a severe car accident and now have a bulged disk in my back which seems to be getting progressively worse with time. I am unable to sit or stand for longer than a half hour at a time, so of course I am unable to work or go to school. Therefore, I really have no other choice but to study from home.


I am not sure about the scholarships available for home schooled individuals.However, with home schooling becoming more the norm, I'll bet there is some education money out there.

As far as your experience with diabetes goes, that may require another question from you.


Additional comments from David S. Holtzman, Esq.:

If you are of compulsory school age, the school district is required to provide you an education, either through a tutor or other similar structured educational program. If the writer is beyond high school, there are many, many on-line educational programs available from accredited institutions of higher learning. I would think (but am not sure) that students completing course work in a degree program through these programs are eligible for student aid like Pell Grants, Federal Student Loan Program, etc. Although I am not aware of any program specifically targeted to people with diabetes, you should contact the Office of Student Aid at the institution you are seeking to enroll in for more information about Federal and State student aid programs.


Additional comments from Dr. David Schwartz:

You should consult with the social worker on your diabetes team.


[Editor's comment: Our Event Co-ordinator, who also monitors the parents' listserver, has this to offer:

One family from Indiana told us that in their state, diabetes was considered a disability and the publicly funded colleges and universities gave significant (thousands of dollars) scholarships and/or tuition credits to students with type 1 diabetes. Not sure if this still holds true or if it is true in other states.

Laura Billetdeaux


[Editor's comment: I would suggest that you contact your local division of social services for help in finding the assistance you are requesting. SS]

Original posting 31 Aug 2001
Posted to Community Resources


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:26
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.