Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Bradford, Arkansas, USA:

My five year son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about a year and a half ago and just got an insulin pump a month ago. We are having problems getting diluent for the Humalog unless we get it through our endocrinologist which is 65 miles away.


With a prescription, your son's endocrinologist should be able to have the diluent delivered to your local pharmacy by the manufacturer.


Additional comments from Dr. Tessa Lebinger:

There is no "official" diluent for Humalog, but "unofficially" you can dilute it with NPH diluent and use this diluted insulin in the pump if you need to deliver very small rates. Eli Lilly will ship it to any pharmacy for free as long as a doctor orders it. They won't ship the diluent directly to patients.


Original posting 22 Nov 2001
Posted to Insulin


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:28
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.