From Bozeman, Montana, USA:

I am a 22 year old who has type 1 diabetes, and I am on the higher end of my weight scale, but not overweight. My diabetes educator wants me to start taking Glucophage because she thinks that I might have some insulin resistance, whereas my doctor says that there isn't enough research to proceed with this plan. Can you give me any more information to help me make a decision?

I would tend to agree with your physician. The combination of Glucophage [metformin] with insulin is a more accepted regimen in patients with typeá2 diabetes. I would suggest physical activity and diet as a means of decreasing insulin resistance if you have typeá1 diabetes.

Posted to Pills for Diabetes

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.